This quinoa salad is fruity, tangy, fresh and filling.
Quinoa, pronounced ‘keen-wa’ is a great wheat-free alternative to starchy grains like rice. My Mama Liz sent us 5 kilos of quinoa so I looked up the Internet on how to prepare it. The original recipe where I got it has mango, fresh blueberries, and cucumbers. I altered it a bit and used peaches, cucumber, raisins, basil and lemon which to my surprised tastes really, really good. 🙂
I found quinoa sold at Landmark, SM Hypermarket and S&R, it costs P220.00 – P280 per 1/4 kilo.
I also read that Quinoa is a good substitute for rice. Quinoa is rich in protein, vitamins and minerals, and it leaves you feeling full. This is why quinoa is becoming popular as a grain alternative and weight loss food.
Try this soon, here’s my recipe:
- For the quinoa
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- For the lemon basil dressing
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 10 Basil leaves, chopped
- For the fruits and veggies
- ½ cup canned peaches
- ½ cup cubed cucumbers
- 1/2 tablespoon raisins
- Place the quinoa and water in a medium skillet and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat, and simmer covered for about 15 minutes or till the quinoa is cooked. Remove the lid, and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Let it cool to room temperature.
- While the quinoa is cooking, combine the fruits in a bowl and refrigerate till you are ready to serve the salad.
- Whisk together all the dressing ingredients, except the chopped basil. Refrigerate till you are ready to serve. Chop and add the basil to the dressing just before serving. If you add it earlier, it will go black.
- Add half the dressing to the quinoa and mix gently.
- Assemble the salad just before serving – toss the quinoa, fruits and cucumbers together. Serve immediately.